Summer is just around the corner. Can you all believe that? I can’t believe that. Where did the school year go!? We spent last weekend at my mom’s house in Utah (I’ll share more about why soon) and all of the sun and outside time with family made me so excited for carefree summer days! I was thinking a lot about this upcoming summer on our drive home. There are three goals I want to set for myself this summer and I’m hoping that by sharing them with all of you I’ll be a bit more accountable than I otherwise would. :) After all, January isn’t the only time we can set goals, right? Right.
I’ve found that the secret for goal setting (at least for me!) has been to not only come up with my goals, but to also be specific about the steps I’m going to take to achieve them. So here is what I’ve come up with so far! Subject to change if needed. :)
GOAL #1 – LOSE 5 POUNDS. I should say “focus on my health” or something that sounds like I care more about my health than how my jeans fit. But if I’m being honest, I care about both :) and losing 5 pounds will give me a more concrete goal. Here are the 3 steps I’m going to take to be more health conscious and rock my skinny jeans. ;)
1) Sweat to my 30 minute 21 Day Fix DVD’s every morning. In the past I’ve followed the 21 Day Fix workout DVD’s and Food plan to get in shape quickly. I mentioned this program last November in my 2015 Favorite Things post. I LOVE the fitness DVD’s. There is a different one for each day of the week that focuses on different muscles, although they are all total body workouts. No travel time. Short and to the point. Intense, but you can do everything at your own level. They are really motivating and if I do them every day I do see results! For me with my kids all home for the summer it’s a perfect workout. I’m also hoping to fit in walks/jogs with my friends and husband here and there, but my plan is to make the DVD a “must do” every day and any other exercise I get will just be icing on the cake. A fat free cake of course. ;)
2) Plan healthy meals and snacks for 3 days in advance. This is such an obvious thing to do, but it’s honestly the reason I usually FAIL when I try to drop a few pounds. If I have healthy food in my house ready to eat I do really well. My problem is that I often don’t take the time to buy and prep healthy snacks/meals. Then I get busy. Then I get hungry. Then I reach for anything that is fast and easy. Which is usually not healthy. Planning for a week is overwhelming for me (food isn’t my strong suit!) so I’m going to try just planning 3 days ahead. I’ve learned more about eating a healthy variety of clean foods from the 21 Day Fix meal plan and I’m going to loosely follow that. I say loosely because you know.. balance in all things. ;) If you already do or are starting the 21 day fix I recently started a Pinterest board with helpful posts I’ve found! You can find me on Pinterest here.
3) Be more active with my kids. See these lounge chairs? Last summer I was so excited about all of our new outdoor furniture that I decided to park on these couches daily and read my HGTV magazine while my kids swam. Not this summer. This summer I’m swimming with them! And biking with them and hiking with them and running around the yard with them. The girls and I are scheming up a little backyard bootcamp full of exercises we are going to do together. I’m determined to keep us all active! And then I’ll allow myself some lounge time with a magazine after. Because like I said before.. balance in all things, right? That just might be my summer motto.
GOAL #2 – ORGANIZE AT LEAST 3 SPACES ON MY 2016 LIST. Remember our lists we all wrote? Back in January? Of ALL the spaces we wanted to organize? Yeah.. now it’s ringing a bell. ;) I’ve crossed a few things off of my list, but I still have a long ways to go and I’m hoping that with less running around with my kids and a more low key schedule I’ll have some un-interrupted organizing time to get these spaces finished once and for all! My heart wants to purge and organize all the things in my house this summer, but my head knows that summer is busy in its own way and I have a lot of decorating going on that also occupies my time, so my goal is to just finish 3 spaces. Here is how I’m going to make that happen.
1) Go through my “to-organize” list and prioritize the top 3 spaces I want to finish.
2) Write down what specific steps need to be taken to finish each space.
3) Calendar some days/times to make it happen! And then stick to it.
I’m sure you’ll be hearing more about this one. :)
GOAL #3 – SPEND QUALITY TIME WITH MY KIDS. You guys. My oldest is starting Middle School next year! She was 5 in this picture which feels like 10 minutes ago. I seriously can’t believe it. We have her fully home with us for just 6 more years. These summers are fleeting and I want to make sure I take full advantage of this time I have with my kids. Especially while they still (for the most part) like to hang out with me. ;) I’m going to really focus on being present and making our time together count. Here are a few ideas I have floating around about how to make sure this happens:
1) Sign up for less summer camps. We are really slowing down this summer and I’m so excited about it. Last summer my kids were signed up for several camps and between camps and vacations we didn’t have a lot of down time at the house. Quite a few mornings we were waking up early and I was fixing lunches. What!? Not my idea of summer. :) This year my younger two are each in one short camp and El will still take her dance lessons. Simple and low key!
2) Brainstorm fun ideas of things we can do together. And make a list. Of course. :)
3) Write out a low key summer schedule that allows time for work and play. Pick one day a week for a fun activity with mom. Chores will still happen and I need time to get my work done so I’m going to strive for a good work/play balance!
4) Set some sort of daily time limit on how much iphone/computer/TV time will be allowed each day. (Still trying to figure out this one because it’s a newer struggle for us… any tips on how you limit electronic time is greatly appreciated!)
So that’s it! My three summer goals.
Lose 5 pounds. Organize at least 3 spaces on my list. Spend quality time with my kids. Fingers crossed I can stick to them.
But if not, I won’t beat myself up because…
balance in all things. ;)
Do you set summer goals? I would love to hear one of yours if you do!
(*affiliate link used)