Hello friends! I have had a similar question pop up a few times so I thought I’d take a minute to answer it today. Some of you have e-mailed me asking for suggestions on how to stay organized during a build or home re-model. Well. Let me tell you. This has been my toughest organizing challenge EVER! It is unbelievable the amount of STUFF you have to keep track of when you build a house. I’m sure going through a major re-model is the same. I constantly have books, receipts, sketches, and samples all over my house. Until just last week we had a bathtub sitting in our garage. :) It can be a bit overwhelming keeping it all under control! I’ve shared most of these ideas before, but I thought a post with everything in one place might help. So! Here are a few things I’ve done that have helped me stay organized throughout this process…
I bought this magazine holder from Ballards to keep them all in one place. I wanted them in a central location that was easy to get to since I was referring to certain pictures so often. Another alternative is to just buy a big basket to hold all of your magazines.
What to do with all of the pages you are tearing out of magazines? I went to my happy place (Martha Stewart supply section of Staples) and picked up a binder and a large accordion file.
Then I labeled a spot in my time management notepad “new house” so that I have a place to jot down notes and to-do’s as they pop up.
I have our house and landscaping plans in big baskets hidden behind the living room couch. Find a location that is easily accessible because you will be pulling these out ten times a day!
Now that I’ve picked out all of our tile and counter tops I’ve moved most of our samples to the garage.
A few other things that might help:
5) Keep a bag in your car with a tape measure, a notepad and pen, and a pair of shoes that you don’t care about for hanging out at the job site. Every time I visit our new house I have these things handy!
6) organize e-mail folders in your inbox for specific house related e-mails.
I have separate folders titled:
– cabinets (all of our cabinet sketches and e-mails regarding cabinets)
– design sketches (all of our random design sketches)
– yard (every e-mail about landscaping that I need to save)
– finish work (e-mails on finish work)
– inspiration pictures (e-mails including pictures I’ve sent)
– finances (e-mails pertaining to finances) — although I don’t have much in this folder. Unfortunately I can’t give you a lot of advice on how to organize the finance component of building because that is Kenny’s job. He has spreadsheets galore going on to keep track of it all. While I love the design aspect of this project, the finances are one area I am more than happy to turn over to him!
Like I said before, this beast has been a hard one to stay on top of. :) I hope a few of the things that have helped me stay organized throughout this process helps some of you as well!
Free printable of the paint colors throughout my home!
Enter your name and email address to get instant access to my paint colors along with other free organizing printables. More will be coming soon!
Exclusive to subscribers!