Hello friends! I have had a similar question pop up a few times so I thought I’d take a minute to answer it today. Some of you have e-mailed me asking for suggestions on how to stay organized during a build or home re-model. Well. Let me tell you. This has been my toughest organizing challenge EVER! It is unbelievable the amount of STUFF you have to keep track of when you build a house. I’m sure going through a major re-model is the same. I constantly have books, receipts, sketches, and samples all over my house. Until just last week we had a bathtub sitting in our garage. :) It can be a bit overwhelming keeping it all under control! I’ve shared most of these ideas before, but I thought a post with everything in one place might help. So! Here are a few things I’ve done that have helped me stay organized throughout this process…
I bought this magazine holder from Ballards to keep them all in one place. I wanted them in a central location that was easy to get to since I was referring to certain pictures so often. Another alternative is to just buy a big basket to hold all of your magazines.
What to do with all of the pages you are tearing out of magazines? I went to my happy place (Martha Stewart supply section of Staples) and picked up a binder and a large accordion file.
Then I labeled a spot in my time management notepad “new house” so that I have a place to jot down notes and to-do’s as they pop up.
I have our house and landscaping plans in big baskets hidden behind the living room couch. Find a location that is easily accessible because you will be pulling these out ten times a day!
Now that I’ve picked out all of our tile and counter tops I’ve moved most of our samples to the garage.
A few other things that might help:
5) Keep a bag in your car with a tape measure, a notepad and pen, and a pair of shoes that you don’t care about for hanging out at the job site. Every time I visit our new house I have these things handy!
6) organize e-mail folders in your inbox for specific house related e-mails.
I have separate folders titled:
– cabinets (all of our cabinet sketches and e-mails regarding cabinets)
– design sketches (all of our random design sketches)
– yard (every e-mail about landscaping that I need to save)
– finish work (e-mails on finish work)
– inspiration pictures (e-mails including pictures I’ve sent)
– finances (e-mails pertaining to finances) — although I don’t have much in this folder. Unfortunately I can’t give you a lot of advice on how to organize the finance component of building because that is Kenny’s job. He has spreadsheets galore going on to keep track of it all. While I love the design aspect of this project, the finances are one area I am more than happy to turn over to him!
Like I said before, this beast has been a hard one to stay on top of. :) I hope a few of the things that have helped me stay organized throughout this process helps some of you as well!