Banana bread muffins

I’m sharing a recipe today!  Woot woot!!  I know.  Try to contain your excitement.  ;)  I may not be much of a chef and you may already have a great banana bread recipe, but I’m sharing this recipe anyway because, well I am just SO proud of myself.  I have finally mastered these babies  and let me tell you – for me to have mastered anything in the kitchen is reason to celebrate!  :)
This is my mom’s recipe and it is simple (for most people, me not included) and they are delicious.  My mom always makes loaves of bread.  I tried making loaves of bread multiple times and couldn’t ever get the inside cooked right without burning the outside.  So I finally said – forget that, I’m making muffins.  I love the  muffins because aside from the fact that they are easier for me to cook, they are also easier to eat.  Just grab and go!  Perfect with OJ for a quick breakfast or to pack in school lunches.
So after making these only around 300 times I finally went from this…
{Exhibit A – proof that I have not always had these muffins mastered}

To this.  :)
3 crushed bananas
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening
2 beaten eggs
1 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla
dash of salt

Bake for 25 minutes @ 350
Couple things to remember:  Use bananas that are just starting to go bad.  Mushy bananas always taste the best.  I like to crush the bananas first before I add the rest of the ingredients.  I also like to double this recipe because my family loves them (they’re gone before I know it) and it’s always fun to take a plate to a friend (a double batch makes around 33 muffins).  Don’t forget the dash of salt like I did once (really does make a difference).   Don’t use 1 tsp sour cream instead of 1 tbsp sour cream like I did once (also makes a difference).  Don’t forget the flour like I did once (makes a big difference).  Don’t under cook them.  Don’t over cook them.  (Been there, done that, makes a difference.)  I think I’ve made every mistake possible with these muffins.
But not anymore!
That’s right.  You’re feeling my excitement now.  :)
Enjoy!

Comments

LMBO… I am laughing so hard right now. Ask anyone in my family. If the smoke alarm doesn’t go off when I am cooking. I have beged my husband to put a plant where the oven is. I really don’t need an oven. I am going to give these a try. I promise I will let you know how they turned out. They are my favorite. If it wasn’t for my neighbor, I would never know how good they were.

Great job Erin!!!

2. HaileyB says

Will definately try these! ‘Mum’ recipes are always a winner! The blue bowl/stand is gorgeous too! Love your blog :)

Those look great! I think you’re better in the kitchen then you lead us to believe, haha!

Love banana bread, so I’ll have to give these muffins a try. Thanks for the recipe :)

I have the exact same problem whenever I try to make banana bread – the middle is always raw and the outside too dark! This looks like a good solution. Thanks for sharing, Erin!

I have the same problem with banana bread loaves. They never get done inside, so I started doing them in an 8×8 pan and it made a world of difference. I also found that ovens vary. I’ve had three different ones over the years, and the cheapest one did the best job on breads. Go figure.
    Anyway! I am going to try your recipe for muffins, too. I like the grab and go feature and they just look so good!

These look delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe and congrats on mastering it. I know it took me a long time to master the art of baking. I love to cook and can follow pretty much any recipe and tweak it sometimes. But when it came to baking that was another story. I used to bake cookies just to find them hard as a rock the next day. But now they are soft and chewy. I totally get your excitement

That is really funny Erin! I can totally hear your voice saying, the whole…tried that once…makes a difference! You crack me up Erin! And these are delicious. I think you need your red basket to put these in!!:)

This is totally a question NOT about muffins. After moving from VA to San Diego, how did you go about making new friends in your new city? I’ve just moved and it is something I have to learn again . . . thanks!

sorry, but MML sounds scary! how to I make friends in -YOUR CITY- because poor little me I just moved here?

Anyway, yummy on the banana muffins! I throw a cup of mini chocolate chips in mine. Oh. My. even better!

It is so nice to have a healthy snack for the fam. :0)

Happy Easter!

Ooops! Didn’t mean to sound scary!
    Just curious how someone who seemed to have had the same experience I did (moving cross country to a place where you know no one) went on to create something good for herself, that’s all, Cecilia.
    Happy baking!

MML –

I think that’s a great question and I totally understand what it’s like being in a new city and knowing NO ONE. I could write a book about this so if you don’t mind, I’ll answer it in a question/answer post on my blog sometime next week. :)

these are fantastic. i just pulled them out of the oven and they are divine. i did not have any sour cream, so i substituted greek yogurt in it’s place. i doubled the recipe and yielded 48 muffins. i plan on taking them to my daughter’s school today to share with her class. thanks for an easy recipe! thank your mama too! :)
    smiles,
    joni

13. Addie says

I just made these! They are delicious! My 2 year old and I ate 3 each, all warm and delicious after coming out of the oven. Mmmmm!

14. Amanda says

I just made these but made a few substitutions based on ingredients I had on hand.

2 eggs = 2 T of flax with 6 T of water
    Shortening = olive oil
    Sour cream = 2% Greek yogurt

And I used one extra banana.

I mixed it and baked it as posted! They came out golden brown and yummy!!!!

I’ve been making your muffin recipe for the past few months, and my family loves them! I have to say that I am usually a pretty good cook/baker, and I can’t remember the last time I messed up a recipe. Well, I made these today, and my family was so excited to eat them. When the timer went off, they looked like they were still uncooked. I kept cooking them, for an additional 10 minutes, and they just didn’t look right. So I looked at the recipe, and guess what I forgot? I forgot the baking soda. Needless to say, we are all disappointed!